By Lynda Jones
A mother and her three children lost their home to a fire that impacted four structures Saturday afternoon, Feb. 13, Houston County Lake VFD Chief Eric Olson reported.
The first call was paged out at approximately 12:15 p.m., Olson said, and the Grapeland Volunteer Fire Department responded. When a second burning structure was reported, the county initiated a call for automatic aid, he explained. At that time, the Houston County Lake Volunteer Fire Department, Latexo Volunteer Fire Department and Crockett Fire Department all responded.
The fire was west of Grapeland on CR 2544 and PR 6065, on property belonging to the Firstborn Christian Center, Olson reported.
According to Olson, the first structure reported was home to a single mother and her three children, and the second structure was a guest house belonging to the Firstborn Christian Center.
What Olson described as a mild wind, 5-10 mph, played a factor as the fire spread into two other structures and an area of dry grass and weeds nearby.
He described the first two structures as total losses, and said the third structure was a mobile home that kept its frame and its resident was displaced.
In order to keep the fire from spreading into the woods, Olson said, the Texas Forest Service sent a dozer to help make a fire break.
Although the Houston County Fire Marshal has not yet made a determination, Olson said he suspects the cause of the fire was electrical.
Anyone wishing to make a monetary donation to help the displaced residents, Olson said, can call Rebecca Glenn, pastor of Firstborn Christian Center, at 936-687-5555.