By Lynda Jones
Ylanz Baker (aka Delane), 21, of Crockett is no stranger to the local law enforcement community and he is back in the Houston County Jail with new bonds set at a total of $174,000.
On Dec. 4, the Houston County Grand Jury returned indictments against him for drug-related charges as well as an Evading Arrest With Vehicle charge. He is suspected of committing those crimes on Oct. 2.
Last week, on Tuesday, Dec. 8, he was arrested by the CPD on two Misdemeanor C charges (alleged Disorderly Conduct and Assault).
Now, he is back in the Houston County Jail facing more drug-related charges.
His assessed bonds for five new controlled substance charges total $170,000, plus a $4,000 for a Possession of Marijuana charge.
The arrest came after CPD officers learned on Friday, Dec. 11, that a residence located in the 800 block of Cedar St. may have stolen property inside.
According to a CPD report, officers went to that location and attempted to make contact with the homeowner, Baker.
"After announcing themselves, officers could hear a lot of shuffling around inside the residence," the CPD report indicated.
"Officers covering the rear could see Baker moving items into a bedroom located in the rear of the residence. Officers suspected that Baker was hiding illegal narcotics due to his extensive drug distribution history," the CPD report alleged.
"Baker eventually come outside the residence and as he opened the door officers could smell a strong odor of marijuana and chemical smell coming from inside the residence," officers alleged.
After the officers secured the residence they typed a search warrant that a local magistrate later signed.
According to the CPD report, officers found 43.49 grams of Cocaine, 65.24 grams of Crack Cocaine, 50.66 grams of PCP (Phencyclidine), 1.93 grams of Xanax, .61 grams of Ecstasy and .044 oz. of Marijuana. A large amount of U.S. currency suspected to be related to drug sales also was seized.
Baker was arrested and charged with the following:
- Manufacture/Delivery of Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 1, >=4 grams <200 grams (Crack-Cocaine), First Degree Felony;
- Manufacture/Delivery of Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 1, >=4 grams <200 grams (Cocaine), First Degree Felony;
- Manufacture/Delivery of Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 1, >=4 grams <200 grams (PCP), First Degree Felony;
- Manufacture/Delivery of Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 2, >= 1 gram <4 grams (Xanax), Second Degree Felony;
- Manufacture/Delivery of Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 2, >= 1 gram (Ecstasy), State Jail Felony; and
- Possession of Marijuana, <2 oz., Misdemeanor B.