The City of Crockett, county seat of Houston County, was incorporated on Dec. 29, 1837.
On Monday, Dec. 29, 2014, about 35 persons gathered at City Hall to celebrate the City of Crockett's 177th birthday.
The event was planned and hosted by the Houston County Historical Commission (HCHC) and the City of Crockett.
Those attending the city's "birthday party" included representatives from the Crockett Area Chamber of Commerce, the Crockett Police Department, the Crockett Public Library, the Crockett ISD Board of Trustees, several members of the HCHC and numerous business people. Crockett's new city administrator, Sean Hutchison, also was present to meet those in attendance.
The following is from a history of Crockett, TX written by Eliza H. Bishop and Christopher Long, published by the Texas State Historical Association in the Handbook of Texas Online:
"When Houston County was established in 1837, Andrew Edwards Gossett, an early settler from Tennessee, donated land for the county seat. Gossett and his father, Elijah Gossett, named the settlement for David Crockett, a former neighbor in Tennessee.
"Crockett is said to have camped near the townsite in January 1836 on his way to San Antonio. County officials chose the site because of its proximity to the Old San Antonio Road.
"The town was incorporated on December 29, 1837, and a post office opened there on March 31, 1838. During the early years mail was delivered twice a month, and a stagecoach ran at intervals from Nacogdoches.
"In 1839 raids by the Alabama-Coushatta and Cherokee Indians forced the town's residents to take shelter in the fortified log courthouse."
Several early schools operated in the vicinity of Crockett, among them Crockett Academy, built a half mile east of the courthouse about 1855.
"During the Civil War Crockett served as a mustering point and training center for Confederate forces. In 1865 the courthouse and most of the town burned, so that most of the county's early records were lost.
"In 1872 the Houston and Great Northern Railroad was built through Crockett, thus assuring its place as a regional trading center and spurring the growth of the lumber industry in the region.
"By 1885 the town had a bank, a hotel, an opera house, and several schools; Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches; a weekly newspaper, the Texas Patron; and an estimated population of 1,200. A school for black girls, later known as Mary Allen Junior College, opened in Crockett in 1886. In 1904 a lignite mine was opened just south of the town and at its height around 1910 produced twenty-five carloads a day. Wildcatting for oil began around the same time, but local oil was not produced commercially until 1934.
"Although the decline of the timber industry after World War I affected the economy of county, Crockett continued to prosper during the 1920s and 1930s, reaching a population of 3,063 in 1925 and 4,441 in 1936, when it had 21 businesses.
"After World War II Crockett grew steadily; it topped the 5,000 mark in the early 1960s and reached 7,000 during the 1980s. In 1990 the town had a population of 7,024 and 180 rated businesses. In 2000 the population was 7,141 with 479 businesses. The local economy was based on agriculture and the production of furniture, plastics, chemicals, and clothing. Attractions in Crockett include its many old homes, a Fiddlers Festival in June, and a rodeo in July.
SOURCE: Eliza H. Bishop and Christopher Long, "CROCKETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfc15), accessed December 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.