By Robert Neel, Reporter
When the Crockett Independent School District Board of Trustees held its regular monthly meeting on Monday, Aug. 25, Superintendent Terry Myers reported on the first day of School.
Myers enthusiastically described meeting the kids as he visited every classroom in the district.
"The kids were excited; the teachers were on task; and the principals on cue," he said.
As business got underway, Assistant Superintendent Wendy Tullos made a presentation on the 2014 Academic Ratings. While Crockett ISD received an overall rating of "Improvement Required," it "Met Standards" on Student Achievement, Student Progress and Closing Performance Gaps. It failed to meet standards only on Postsecondary Readiness. Elementary, junior high and high school campuses all met standards.
Crockett High School earned distinctions in Academic Achievement for Reading, Mathematics and Social Studies.
Crockett Junior High School (CJH) Principal Judy Leediker presented members of the board with shirts to celebrate the achievements of the junior high school. These shirts already are being worn by teachers and staff.
CJH earned distinctions in Academic Achievement for Mathematics, Top 25% Student Progress and Postsecondary Readiness.
Leediker said, "No other school in the county achieved more than one distinction and we got three."
CJH tied for second place in Student Progress when compared to similar schools in the state.
In other business:
• A public hearing was held on the 2014-2015 school budget and tax rate. No public comments were heard.
• Myers discussed the success of the backpack program.
• Myers stated that East Texas Youth Association has obtained liability insurance for its use of school property.
• The 2014 Certified Tax Roll was approved. Taxes are expected to generate $437,035,530 this year, which is about $11,000,000 more than last year. The additional revenue is due to increased land evaluations and not higher tax rates, Business Manager Gail Hanson explained.
• The 2014-2015 CISD budget was approved. The budget is up about $13,000,000 over last year.
• The 2014-2015 tax rate was approved. The rate of 1.25 is unchanged from last year.
• The 4-H organization was approved as an extra-curricular activity.